blog

MW / Sex and candy

12:00:00 AM

I was 11 years old when I first saw the video of Marcy Playground's Sex and Candy, and I've been in love with the song ever since. It was 1997, and the internet isn't as mainstream as it is now, so I didn't really have selective access to music. All I could do then was keep the television on Channel V or MTV and wait for them to play the video.

Marcy Playground
(photo from the internet)
My friends are either too young or too old to actually know this song, which launched the three-man band to the top of the alternative rock charts. When I do encounter people who know this, I automatically warm up to them because chances are, they listen to the same things I do. Haha!

The lyrics are just downright raw, and I mean that in a good way. It's clear and obscure at the same time. It's obviously about sex, but the way it describes the art of seduction leading to the act is just genius. The arrangement brings about a kind of tenderness you won't find in most songs of the genre at the time. And lastly, John Wozniak's voice is just the right fit for songs like this. It's husky, raunchy, and, well, sexy. It reminds me a bit of Eddie Vedder, actually.

To this day, Sex and Candy is still one of my favorite songs ever. If you're reading this, click here to watch the video (for some reason, I couldn't embed it to this post).

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)