childhood

I just realized, tomorrow is Fathers' Day.

3:45:00 PM

My mother would always tell me that my father is a hero, and I believed that. Actually, I still do.

When I was growing up, I would only see my father for a month in a year because he worked abroad. Unlike the other kids in my class, I didn't have the luxury of nightly bedtime stories or afternoons in the playground. Although we had little time, he taught me how to play basketball and other sports, and he shared a lot of stories about his childhood and about his life in another country. And yeah, I was his princess. 
Daddy with his two semi-new princesses. I'm too big for the role. :P
December is the most wonderful month because of Christmas, my birthday, and most importantly, because Daddy's home. And whenever it was time for him to pack his suitcases again and fly off to the Middle East, I would cry inconsolably and try to talk him out of leaving. Once or twice, I pulled his shirt to keep him from going. And I remember sitting on his suitcase one time, and he almost effortlessly just lifted me up and sat me on the couch. 

So much has happened since I hit my teens, and I will admit that my father and I no longer share the same bond we used to have. But if there's one thing that hasn't changed, it's that I still believe that my father is a hero. He sacrificed a lot so I would have a shot at a better life, and I will forever be grateful. Strained as our relationship is due to circumstance, I still love my father.

We don't speak much anymore, except for occasional exchanges via SMS. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see him again, after everything that happened. But just in case I wake up tomorrow and I do decide to visit him, I already have something for him, actually. 

Just this morning, I was window-shopping in SM Megamall when I passed by Red Ribbon Bakeshop, and they were offering a limited edition Black Forest cake. I bought one, and it's safe in my fridge right now. You see, Red Ribbon's Black Forest cake is his favorite. Year on year, my mother would always buy one for him to welcome him home. The funny thing is my father is actually not a fan of sweets, but that cake is the exception. 
Daddy's favorite!
(image from the internet - only because I don't want to remove the ribbon on the box! Haha!)
Maybe tomorrow I can surprise him by knocking on his door with the familiar red box in my hand. In my head, I can actually picture him devouring one forkful after another of Black Forest. My brother's a father, as well, so maybe we could all celebrate together. Like my father, I look at Kuya and I see a hero, too. I'm sure my nieces, Sofia and Stef, see him in the same way. 

P.S. I'd like to greet my qualified friends a Happy Fathers' Day! I can't name all of you guys, but if you're reading this, please know that you're all heroes in the eyes of your kids - Jomar to Dagny, AR to Simone, Jerry to Ashley, Brian to Misha and Lucas, Gersh to Athan and Asher, Peter to Belinda, Carlo to Finn, and so on. You guys are awesome, and I hope you all enjoy your special day!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)