blog

LT / Complicated relationships

12:00:00 AM

Shopgirl is another one of my literary ukay-ukay finds. I got my copy for a mere Php50.00 from Book Sale. I got interested with it because the author is actor Steve Martin - I wanted to know if the guy had talents other than being a professional pretender. I was pleasantly surprised, even if I probably shouldn't be since it's a New York Times Bestseller.

Worth every penny
The book revolves around Mirabelle, the girl behind the glove counter at an upscale department store somewhere in Los Angeles, California. She gets involved with Ray, a man who is almost twice her age, and the consequences of their relationship go way beyond what either could have imagined. I don't know how to discuss details without giving out spoilers, so I won't even try.
Quote lifted from the book
In a lot of ways, I see myself in Mirabelle, and in some, I see myself in Ray. We all walk this earth in search of the things we want, the things that we think will make us happy. But at each turn, with each complication, we change - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Because of these changes, we may sometimes find ourselves wondering why we wanted certain things in the first place, especially when they turn out to be the very things that hurt us, or worse, that hurt the people we love.

If you're in your mid-20s to early 30s, chances are you've already had your share of complicated relationships, or you may be in one right now, even. If it's over and you've already managed to move on, a part of you may wonder how you could have been so dumb to have gotten involved in the first place. But underneath it all, there is something in these relationships that, in the end, make them worthwhile.

Some would say that that something is love, but I would say it's education. In some cases, it may even be mutual (like the one beautifully told in Shopgirl), and it changes those involved in more ways than one. You learn things about and because of each other, and in the process, you also learn a thing or two about yourself. With what you pick up, you're able to understand, and perhaps even define, who you are.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)