blog

LT / Deep thought

12:00:00 AM

It was 2006, my junior year in college. I was hanging out in the smokers' pocket garden beside the Department of Communication in Ateneo, when a guy friend (who shall remain unnamed, and you'll know why later) waltzed in and asked me for a cigarette. I gave him a stick, and I offered him a light, which he accepted. While smoking, we talked about our common interest: philosophy. And right in the middle of the discussion on Levinas, my stomach decided to give a loud grumble to remind me that I haven't eaten anything since lunch the day prior.

The polite thing for him to do would have been to ignore it, but it was too loud that pretending to not have heard it would have actually been more inappropriate. He smiled a little, and then told me to stand up, get my bag, and walk to his car, which I did. We went to his house, usually a 15-minute drive from campus, which he made in under 10. His father was there, and he joined us for lunch. It was a very good (and heavy) meal, and I couldn't thank them enough for their hospitality.
Yes.
We resumed the Levinas discussion in his room, which was practically a mini-library with a bed. It was my first time there, so I naturally freaked out. His collection of philosophy titles is just incredible, and it puts mine to shame. I browsed through titles as we talked, and I found The Thoughts and Meditations of Kahlil Gibran beside his copy of The Prophet, the other Gibran book that got me into writing. I took the book from the shelf and asked if I could borrow it.

"It's yours," he said. And I squealed like the school girl that I was, and I rushed over to him to give him the biggest thank you hug I gave that year.

The book is a great supplement to The Prophet. If you're a fan of philosophy titles, then I highly recommend that you read this. It lets you appreciate, and perhaps even deconstruct, the framework that is Gibran's mind. It's not a light read, though - I took three weeks to finish because I had to pause a lot to reflect on my own. But it's a good companion for philosophical reflections.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)