blog

LT / From beyond the grave

12:00:00 AM

I actually read Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones when I was in college. I saved my allowance so I could buy the book, but someone from my circles borrowed it and never gave it back (I don't remember who it is). Luckily for me, I found a copy at Book Sale, and I got it for only Php145 even if the price tag reads Php345.

Lovely, indeed
The Lovely Bones is Alice Sebold's debut novel. It was well-received by literary critics when it came out, and the book deserves the acclaim. I know that Hollywood churned out a movie adaptation directed by Peter Jackson, but I haven't seen it. I sure hope that the film did the book justice.

Susie is the main protagonist, and she narrates her story from her personal heaven, where her soul went after she was raped and murdered at age 14. She watches her loved ones struggle with the loss and try to move on with their lives, and how she deals with having everything except the one thing she really wants, which is to be with her family, really touched me.

I'm not into fantasy, but this is something that I really appreciate because it's the work of an incredible imagination. That, and I am very familiar with the themes of loss, longing, and of course, young love. It's a beautifully-written novel that every young girl should read.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)