blog

LT / Worth reading, and watching

12:00:00 AM

The film adaptation of the award-winning graphic novel Watchmen (a collaboration of writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons), was about to be released in Philippine cinemas at the time I still worked for SMX. One of my office mates then, Sam, asked if I had read the novel upon which the movie was based, and when I said no, she insisted that I read it. She lent me her copy and I did as I was told.

The Comedian's blood
(image from the internet)
It took a mere two hours for me to finish reading. I'm not into graphic novels, so I will admit that I had some reservations at the start. But a few pages into it, I knew there was no way I could put it down without getting to the end. It was not your average comic book about masked vigilantes. Read with an open mind, Watchmen becomes a meaningful discourse on war and peace, and in some ways, on human nature.

The characters are all well-rounded and compelling, and their individual conflicting beliefs set my mind off to overdrive. I found myself torn between Rorschach's principle of no compromise and Ozymandias' architecture of peace. I felt for The Comedian and his struggles. He was the character who first understood the whole plot, the man who had to pay the ultimate price for what he knew. I appreciated Dr. Manhattan's different take on human affairs, which is a direct result of his unusual perception of time. There's the generational battle between mother and daughter in Sally and Laurie, something my mother and I had to deal with for a while when I was growing up.
I liked the movie, too!
(image from the internet)
I'm not sure if hardcore fans will agree with me, but in my opinion, the movie was quite good, too. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's The Comedian was perfectly cast. And the soundtrack was really great - I loved the songs playing in the opening credits (The Times They Are a-Changin by Bob Dylan) and during The Comedian's funeral (The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel).

Both the graphic novel and the film adaptation received critical acclaim, for good reason. Watchmen is a must-read and a must-watch! And if you haven't read the book or seen the movie, please do one, or both, if you can. I'm telling you -  two to three hours spent on reading and two on watching will not be wasted time.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)