blog

MW / My new music teacher

12:00:00 AM

One of my frustrations as a kid was not being able to learn how to play an instrument. I picked up the guitar in college, and my friends Cholo and Chuck tried to help me out by teaching me a few things, but I never really got the hang of it. When I started working, I tried to learn how to play the bass guitar with the help of my ex-boyfriend, Marvie. I actually liked it, but before I got past the monkey-see, monkey-do stage, I had to sell my guitar to help pay for my mother's cancer treatment.

For a couple of years, I didn't think about the bass guitar. But when I celebrated my 26th birthday last December, I decided that I wanted to try again. I put it on my Pre-27 Bucket List. I borrowed my cousin Ruther's bass guitar, and for the first quarter of 2013, it only served as an accent in our condo living room, on a nice guitar stand that The Running Belles gave me after we ran the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon.

My favorite thing
Some time in late April, I had coffee at Becky's Kitchen in Valle Verde 1 with my friend and legendary Filipino jazz guitarist Aya Yuson. When Aya and I get together, we can talk for hours on end about anything and everything. I mentioned to him that I'm thinking about seriously learning to play the bass guitar this year. I told him that I've actually forgotten everything I know about playing the instrument, and I'm going to have to start from scratch.
Aya Yuson
Just because he has a big heart, he offered to become my teacher. And because I am only half an idiot, I said yes! Peter the Scotsman is to running as Aya Yuson is to music. The weekly lessons started a little over a month ago, and I regret to say that I have not been improving as fast as I would like to. The problem is I switched jobs at around the same time also, so there's so much going on that I've been unable to practice on weekdays.

And get this - the part of your brain that you use for math is the same one you use for music. I'm really bad at math, so I will admit that this is a struggle. But then again, math is taught wrong, so I guess it's a matter of finding the right teacher. Luckily for me, Aya's very patient. I haven't been yelled at, even if I think I deserve it sometimes. Or most of the time, actually. I can be whiny when my hands start to hurt, haha!

I'm giving myself a year to learn the basics, and another year to master them. And another year to develop the dexterity to play the bass while singing. In the words of Aya, "Habulin natin si Esperanza." I wish, oh, I wish. Haha!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)