college

Rebel art

12:00:00 AM

Before I begin, let me just state for the record that I am not an artsy-fartsy person. If there's one thing I'm sure I cannot do, it would be drawing. Smileys, hearts, stars, and other basic shapes don't count! Although I come from Paete, Laguna, which is dubbed 'Bayan ng Malikhain,' I have absolutely no artsy bone in me. I can't even take good photos for my blog, haha!

And I cannot even do basic layouts. I think that I can be fairly creative, but I express myself through words and music. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate visual arts, because I do. After all, creating and appreciating are two very different things, and the former is not a prerequisite of the latter.

I'm not really into Impressionism, Expressionism, Cubism, Surrealism, what have you. I really don't get those terms, and I don't think I ever will. My approach to art is similar to my approach to food; if I like it, I like it, and I'm not going to try to understand it because it's not something I'm passionate about. I don't have to know the step-by-step, the technique, the effort. I know people who will disagree with what I'm about to say next, but knowing those things tend to ruin my experience of the masterpiece.

The thing is I respond to visual art in an emotional way. When I look at something, I do not think about how the artist created it, but rather, how the artist must have felt when he was creating it. I don't care about how complex the mixing of colors and the brush strokes must have been to create Van Gogh's deeply poignant Starry Starry Night or Da Vinci's enigmatic Mona Lisa. By being too technical about the creation of something, I think that the process is being stripped of its raw beauty.

There is always hope
(photo from the internet)
Which is probably why, ever since I was a kid, I have always been fascinated with graffiti. While most really are just profanity, there are still some that actually mean something in the real world. Graffiti is simple, perhaps because the artist behind it is usually pressed for time (who wants to spend the night in a jail cell, anyway?). They can't really obsess about technique and colors with the cops on their tail.

I learned about Banksy back in college, when my friend showed up in one of my favorite smoking pocket gardens wearing a shirt with one of his works printed on it. Banksy is the pseudonym of an England-based graffiti artist, and to this day, he is the only artist I ever got interested enough in to Google. (If you want to know more about him and his works, click here to visit his website.) I respect the man for his ideals.

Earlier I said that I process visual art in an emotional way, so I'm not even going to try to dissect Banksy's works for you. Each piece inspires in me a distinct feeling, and I don't really have the capacity to write about each one. But my favorite is the one photographed above, because for some reason, it reminds me so much of my mother, who's actually a bit of a badass, herself.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)