blog

FTF / In couture

12:00:00 AM

When I worked for SMX, I had the privilege of handling the Philippine Fashion Week. Although I am not a fashionista, I appreciate shows like that because it's a showcase of Filipino creativity. I was with them for three seasons, during which time I got exposed to couture. A lot of the designs were absolutely beautiful, but I never really imagined myself in any of them. Mainly because I'm not a model, but also because I don't really go to occasions where it's appropriate to wear gowns.

Signature
When JM asked me to sing at Technocirque, I initially thought that it was going to be just another gig where I put on the best dress I could find in my closet and try to paint a face with a little bit of makeup. But it turned out to be so much more than that. They turned me into a sultry jazz diva with a little help from makeup artist Aimee Grey, and fashion designer John Paras. 
The designer
John Paras is a visionary Filipino fashion designer, and I consider myself extremely lucky to have had the chance to wear one of his creations. He actually staged a show at the Philippine Fashion Week Holiday 2011 lineup, although I missed his collection because I was too busy running around, managing the event. I didn't meet him until I went to his atelier for a fitting.
Overhead
Elements of Style
Atelier is the French word for workshop, but the term is used to specifically refer to shops of people in the creative arts. I guess that explains the flair! Elements like chandeliers, black and white wallpaper, classic furniture, and framed images made the place very elegant, and I spent as much time looking around the shop as I did fitting.

I tried on a couple of gowns, and I was extremely careful because I was afraid that I'd rip any one of them. I'm not fat, but I'm not model thin, so I was worried that nothing would fit. To my surprise, though, the sequined see-through white number did fit. And I had to summon all my strength to keep myself from giggling like a schoolgirl when John commented that I fit into a "model size" dress.
Thank you, John. I felt wonderful in this dress. 
It fit my body just fine, but even in heels, I'm not nearly tall enough to be able to walk in it without holding the train up, haha! Anyway, I felt like a princess in this dress, and I'm grateful that I got to wear something this beautiful. If in the future I'll ever need something to wear for a special occasion, I would love to don another John Paras creation. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)