birthday

The daughter my mother could be proud of

12:00:00 AM

It's Thursday, but I'm not writing about books or reading today because it's my mother's birthday! She would have been 57 years old today, but she died of cancer in October 2010. I miss her every single day. She taught me a lot of things, some of which I've shared in this blog. 
The woman
One of the things she shared with me before she died is that I should always make an effort to make someone's life a little better than before he or she met me. I guess she lived by those words all her life, because the number of people who mourned her passing was just overwhelming. 

She was loved by almost everyone, and I don't blame them. I've said this before and I'll say it again - my mother is the most amazing woman I have ever known. And I'm trying to be more like her by following that bit of advice. 

In some posts I talked about my ex-boyfriend, Marvie, with whom I shared five years of my young adult life. Obviously, it didn't work out, but I don't regret anything. We both changed so much that we just had to walk away. But the change was good, because we're definitely better people now than we were before we got together. 

Since I became single again, I've met lots of new people, and some of them have become really good friends. One of them thanked me for helping him get over some of his bad habits. I don't know how I did that, exactly, but I'm really glad that I was able to help him out. 

That's what I'd like to keep doing. I'd like to become a positive force in the lives of my friends because of what my mother taught me, and because that's what they are to me. I'm lucky with the people I have in my circles, and I'd like for them to be able to say the same about having me. 

Although I know I can't be friends with everyone, there's no reason for me to not be good to mere acquaintances, too. It's not possible to be as accommodating to them as I am to friends (that would be exhausting). But a little kindness goes a long way, and thus should never be underestimated. 

And to reach out to more people, I started this blog. I share my experiences, my thoughts, and my reflections, and I hope that anyone who stumbles upon this would help him or her in one way or another. I'm young and I have much to learn, myself, but I guess there's no harm in sharing what I pick up along the way.

I hope that I am, or at least that I am becoming, the daughter my mother could be proud of. 

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)