life

The hiatus is over, part one

12:00:00 AM

Today marks my return to the blogosphere; the hiatus is over! But before I go back to regular programming - my usual Monday to Friday topics - I figured it's appropriate to give you an update of sorts.

In my previous post, I wrote that I had to say goodbye to blogging for a bit because I had to get my affairs in order. At the time, I had just quit my job in public relations with no backup plan and with absolutely no savings. I would be the first to tell you that that was an absolutely stupid decision.
Sign here
(image from the internet)
I sent out applications everywhere, and I got summoned to a number of interviews, some of which were actually quite promising. I got a couple of offers, one of which was very lucrative by my standards, but both I turned down. Before you think that I'm on a downward spiral, making one stupid decision after another, do hear me out. Or should that be read me out? :)

My last day in public relations was August 2, 2013, a Friday. On my way home from work, I was already dreading the coming Monday because I didn't have a job anymore. No job meant no income, and no income meant hunger, which was the one thing I was afraid of more than flying cockroaches.

But I didn't really have plenty of time to be afraid, because come Monday, I already had three meetings scheduled, one after another. The first was with my former boss, Bob, who needed a hand in marketing for his new business venture. If magazines had what was called an 'Editor-At-Large,' then I was his 'Marketing Director-At-Large.' We agreed on the scope of work, and I got a 50% down payment on the spot.

The second was with Richard, a supplier I met during my Unilever days who became a very good friend. He had an idea that he wanted to run by people before starting to actually work on it, and I was one of those he consulted. During the discussion, I mentioned what I was doing for Bob. Apparently, Richard needed someone to do the same things for his other enterprise, and for that reason, he commissioned my services right then and there.

My last stop that afternoon was at the office of Bambi, a top entertainment producer in the country, who needed me to write a press release and to make improvements on the technical script for a media launch. This was actually my second time to work for her; the first time, she asked me to draft her company profile in preparation for a big pitch. I guess she was satisfied enough with my output for her to hire me again.
Freelance freedom
(photo from the internet)
It's funny how, on the first day I was supposed to be unemployed, I had to run from one meeting to the next while taking phone calls for other potential jobs in between. I was beyond grateful. It was then that I first seriously considered walking away from the corporate world for good to become a freelance marketing practitioner and writer.

I still went to job interviews, of course, but I took on freelance jobs while doing so. At that time, I didn't have my own laptop as I've relied on company-issued computers since I started working in 2007. That was another reason why I had to go on a blogging hiatus. My friend Jerry lent me an old and heavy and bulky Toshiba laptop, one that didn't even have WiFi capability.

But it had Micosoft Word and that was all I needed to be productive. For a couple of weeks, I relied on that machine to type up writing assignments and project proposals and cost estimates. I saved the documents in a thumb drive and then go to Bob's shop or my friend JM's office to use a free computer to send clients my work. It was a bit difficult, I'll admit, but there was no other way.
My new toy!
(photo from the internet)
Thanks to Jerry (again!), I got me a sleek Lenovo IdeaPad U310! We swiped it on his credit card, payable in twelve months at zero per cent interest. I'm a very, very lucky person. I decided to invest in a laptop because the freelance jobs were coming in. It was becoming a viable option, and the idea of having full control of my time added a lot to the appeal.

A full-time job offered stability - regular paycheck, health insurance, and other benefits - while freelancing offered freedom, high potential returns matched with high risk, and most importantly, it allowed me to lay the groundwork for my long-term goal of building my own business. I don't know what kind of business I'd like to do in the future, but I was certain of one thing - I didn't want to be an employee forever.

For about a couple of weeks, I lost sleep weighing my options. I consulted a lot of people as I attempted to arrive at a sound decision. Most of my friends advised me to go freelance, but there were still a few who told me to go corporate. They all raised valid points and concerns, which I took under advisement. But I knew well that in the end, it was my call to make, and I had to choose sooner than later.

Life didn't have a pause button that I could press so it would wait for me to decide.

What life did have, however, was middle ground, and it hit me square in the face - in a very, very good way.

(To be continued)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)