blog

FTF / Listen, Mom, I'm on the radio!

12:00:00 AM

Part of my work as the Marketing Director of Kodanda Archery Range is representing the company to the media. The owners are very private people, which is why they would rather have me face the press. Since the range opened, I've given a total of four (4) television interviews and three (3) radio interviews, and I've also hosted two (2) blogger events, on top of negotiating new media coverage.
And we're live
(image from the internet)
I like doing the interviews. Scary as they are, I enjoy being put on the spot because I'm being yanked out of my comfort zone as a writer, which is staying behind the scenes. The day after my first television interview on Global News Network's Practical Business with Miguel Gil, I gave my first radio interview on Katropa, a news show on the official radio station of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

At the risk of sounding like a pompous b*tch, I'm going to state the fact that I have excellent communication skills in Filipino. I grew up in Bulacan, the very province where the great writer Francisco Baltazar was born and raised, so I'm more than comfortable speaking Tagalog. So I thought that the spot on Katropa was going to be a walk in the park. I was dead wrong! I bombed the interview!

It wasn't putting together the sentences that killed me - it was the terminology. Archery is indigent to the Philippines, but it was isolated to the Aeta tribes that spoke a different dialect. So when the host Aileen Intia started dropping terms like "pana" and "palaso" on me, my mind struggled to process them.

To save myself from total embarrassment, I resorted to what we call "Taglish" - a combination of Tagalog and English - until the interview was over. I don't like speaking in Taglish; I'm the type who would choose one language over another if I could help it. But I guess there's really no way to completely avoid it in that scenario. Besides, Taglish has actually become the norm these days.

When we were done, I apologized to the hosts for being unprepared. From then on, I've made it a point to always ask if the interviews will be done in Filipino or in English, so I know how to handle myself. That has helped me a lot in all my succeeding media engagements for Kodanda, and I think my boss is happy with how I'm doing. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)