blog

LT / Gateway books

12:00:00 AM

I didn't start reading Kundera until my college years. High school was a hodgepodge of whatever I could get my hands on, most of which are actually my mother's books. As a kid, though, I loved Nancy Drew Mysteries, and I devoured one book a week - borrowed from the school library, of course (I tried reading my cousin's Sweet Valley books and I just hated them, haha!).
My favorite story!
(image from the internet)
If marijuana is the gateway drug, then Nancy Drew Mysteries were my gateway books. At the end of each volume, I felt a peculiar mix of accomplishment (because I read it from beginning to end) and discontent (because I wanted more) that got me hooked on the habit of reading. I've become a book addict ever since.

It's also through these books that I slowly trained myself in critical thinking. To the unfamiliar, Nancy Drew is a fictional amateur sleuth who tries to solve mysteries. After the first novel, I would try to figure out who the culprit was by gathering evidence and interpreting signs. Sometimes, I'd even beat the character to finding the bad guy!

Another benefit was that I grew my vocabulary with those short novels - when I encountered unfamiliar words, I would either look them up in the dictionary, or look for context clues. It's one of the things that shaped me to become a writer, so I guess I have author Carolyn Keene to thank for my career now.

What about you? What is/are your gateway book/s?

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)