advice

When it's time to say no

12:00:00 AM

If you've been reading this blog, you would know that I am a strong advocate of saying yes. On more than one occasion, I talked about how saying yes has opened doors for me and how it has changed my life. I'm all for taking chances, so I told my readers to say yes to everything, to jump, to leap. It's good advice, but it's being a bit unfair to "no."
Where to?
(photo from the internet)
When you're confronted with two options - say, for instance, two job opportunities - saying yes to one automatically means saying no to the other. In those situations where you have to choose one over the other, you say no by default, sometimes without even having to utter the word. And after my PR stint, I realized that it's not such a bad thing to pass up on some chances.

Taking on everything is not possible. If you spread yourself too thin, no matter how driven or passionate you are, one of your endeavors will eventually suffer. While I was in PR, I took on one too many side projects, and my main job took the hit for that. I guess it betrayed my priorities - I didn't like the industry, which is why I said yes to other projects despite being overwhelmed enough with my day job.
No matter how great you are, multitasking has its setbacks.
(photo from the internet)
In the second installment of my so-called comeback posts, I shared that I was going back to the corporate world but I fully intended to retain my side jobs. I think that I'm very good at managing my time, so I thought it wasn't going to be a problem. But since I started, I've already had to drop most of my other projects so I could focus on my job.

You see, I like my current job. I like it enough to want to do really well in it. For the record, I don't see myself growing old doing this, but for now, this is what I want to do, and I'm going to concentrate. The world's greatest achievers didn't spread themselves too thin - they focused on their passions, and this devotion catapulted them to the top of their game.
You gotta say it
(photo from the internet)
I'll admit that I was too afraid of missing out on life that I just had to try to take on everything. But I realized now that saying no is also an opportunity. In my case, saying no to other big projects gave me the opportunity to do well in my job. There are only 24 hours in a day, so you have to choose. And when you do, you have to stick with your decision.

At the moment, I only have two side projects left. One is for digital marketing, which requires all but ten minutes of my time each day. The other is for copywriting, which asks for about a couple of hours from my work week. And although I can probably still squeeze in one more light project, I'm actually declining any new ones at this point.

I've decided that I want to focus on my current job, and I'm not going to dwell on the projects I had to say no to. Saying no to those endeavors gave me the opportunity to excel in my current job, and I'm not going to waste my time and energy in thinking about what I passed up on.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)