blog

MW / Young blood, old music

12:00:00 AM

One random evening a few months back, my friend Alexei invited me to go with him and his friend Anton to listen to Cara Manglapus sing in Society Lounge in Makati Avenue. Because I haven't really been to a jazz gig in a while, I decided to go even if I lived in Eastwood at the time. And I'm glad I went through the trouble of going to Makati - the music was worth the trip.

Cara Mnaglapus is a young and beautiful jazz singer. Unlike jazz greats like Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald, Cara's voice is not particularly powerful. Her voice reminds me of Mishka Adams - soft, soothing, and pleasant to the ears even when she hits the high notes. I really loved her cover of The Girl from Ipanema by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Sunday Morning by Maroon 5.

Her bandmates are as talented as she is. They're very young, but they're all crazy good! I always appreciate it when young people get into jazz; it reassures me that the legacy of the greats will live on. Kudos to their parents for exposing them to jazz, and for encouraging them to hone their musical talent! :)

Bassist Christine Mercado stood out for me. She not only plays really well, she also has the dexterity to sing while playing bass! That's more difficult than singing while playing the piano or the guitar; you need to have great dexterity! Voice is to melody, as bass is to beat, so it can be really challenging to do them both at the same time.

Cara joined The Voice in the Philippines, so I don't know if she still sings at Society Lounge with her band. Since I don't own a television, I don't know how she did. But if she could win that competition, it would be a great push for jazz! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)