change

Beyond the comfort zone

12:00:00 AM

I'm currently doing freelance work, and so far, it's been good. As I've mentioned before, there's a bit of a struggle in making ends meet, but I'm happy where I am now. But being happy doesn't mean I'm living a stress-free life, because that could not be farther from the truth. I am under a lot of pressure, and I will admit that there are moments when I get overwhelmed by fear.

It's not just about the money; I've always managed to make what I need, and on better months, I get a little extra for savings and even some leisure. Besides, money is easy to make - I have my other projects, or I can always go back to corporate life. My fear mostly stems from the fact that I am way out of my comfort zone, specifically for this major project for Philippine MMA.
Yup, that MMA.
(photo from the internet)
At this juncture, I can't really share too many details, except that I'm officially part of the Universal Reality Combat Championship team. NOT as a fighter, obviously, but as one of the back-end operations people. (For those who aren't familiar with URCC, visit their WikiPedia page here.) At the moment, I'm involved in business planning and event operations.

It's an exciting endeavor for me, but because I don't really know that much about the sport and the unspoken rules of the fight world, I'm still scared out of my wits most of the time. There are times when I take a step back and wonder how I even got here, and I sometimes entertain self-doubt. I'm not sure if I'm cut out for this whole thing.

We have big goals, and I've got my eyes set on them. They're achievable, and I'm willing to put the work in. But I'm sooooo out of my comfort zone, which is why I'm scared. But I know that it's a matter of not getting blinded by fear, and of course, getting the right people to help me out. Great feats are almost always accomplished by teams. :)

Luckily for me, though, I've got the most solid support group anyone could ever ask for, starting with, of course, the people from URCC - Alvin, Alfred, Franz, Jed, and Bubbles. I met other people in Deftac Pilipinas, starting with Franco, who, like Alfred, looped me in on the things I needed to know to do my job; then there's Rain, Marcus, and Ali, who also give me pointers on how to navigate the new environment.

Then, of course, there's Peter, my "white father," who's wasted hours and hours of executive time going through my business cases and giving me tips on how I can make them better. Suppliers are in this list, too - Dave and Val from Axon IT Consulting, Rely and Alecco from RSA Titan Management Group, and Domini and Trici from Driven Manila.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)