blog

MW / Anti-competition

12:00:00 AM

My happy gay friends have been telling me to audition for the second season of The Voice of the Philippines since the first season started airing. While I really appreciate their faith in my singing ability (I sure don't have that much faith), I've been very firm that I'm not going to do it. For the record, I'm not being elitist or something. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of competing with other musicians.
I can't. I just can't.
(image from the internet)
The idea of being pitted against singers doesn't sit well with me, especially if they don't sing the same genre. There are different techniques for different kinds of music, so there's really no way of comparing that would be fair. I mean, really - how do you compare a belter like, say, Sarah Geronimo, and a certified jazz goddess like Skarlet?

Both are good musicians in their own right; they have strong voices with great range. I believe they have mastered the musical technique of their respective genres. Both are seasoned performers with an unmistakable presence that commands audiences to listen. I would argue that Skarlet is way better than Sarah, but I know people who will disagree with me.

The debate would go on forever; there would be no resolution because at the end of the day, it all boils down to personal tastes. I like Skarlet's music while I don't particularly like Sarah's, so naturally, I'd say the former is the superior musician. But a fan of Sarah would naturally contest that claim, as is his or her right.

This is why you will never see me compete, musically speaking.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)