advice

UM / Keeping it clean

12:00:00 AM

I realized I've been writing about ukay-ukay shopping in this blog for a while now, but I haven't given talked about a topic that's very, very important to any seasoned thrift shopper: the proper way to wash ukay finds before wearing them! I wouldn't even wear something I bought from a mall without washing it first, so common sense should dictate that you have to wash those ukay-ukay finds thoroughly before putting them on! Below is my process to make those pre-loved clothes wearable again:

Soak your finds in warm, soapy water overnight. Some might say this is overkill, but I humbly disagree. This is especially important for people who have sensitive skin - you have the get rid of all the dirt, grime, and whatever else that may have gotten stuck in the fibers. Use a strong detergent with antibacterial properties; they're a bit more expensive than regular detergent but it's still cheaper than seeing a dermatologist for skin infections.
Sit and wait!
(photo from the internet)
After soaking them overnight, I wash my new old clothes in the machine. Since I'm washing them for the first time, I don't mix it with my regular laundry to be sure that whatever bacteria is in them don't find their way to my other clothing. And oh, by the way, don't use the same water you soaked them in for washing. The whole point of soaking is to get rid of dirt, so it's counter-productive to wash them in the same dirty water.
Better safe than sorry
(image from the internet)
After washing, I'll of course hang the clothes to dry. But before I fold them and put them in my closet, I check for any funky odors. The smell is actually a pretty reliable indicator of cleanliness. Once all the odors are gone, the clothes are safe for wearing. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)