blog

LT / The book of Love

12:00:00 AM

I took up Creativity and Problem Awareness one summer term in college, and one of our required readings is a book titled Love, written by Leo Buscaglia, Ph.D., who was also known as Dr. Love (I kid you not). He was a professor in the Department of Special Education at the University of Southern California, where he taught a non-credit class called Love 1A (again, I kid you not).
The book on LOVE. Yes, it exists.
It's easy to scoff at the idea of a book (moreso a class) on Love, but before you jump to a hasty conclusion, hear me out. Buscaglia doesn't talk about love solely in the romantic sense. He talks about love on a bigger scale, in the bigger scheme, and how it is the one thing that will lead us to who we really are. I subscribe to the belief that creativity is essentially knowing who you are, so on this premise, the love that Buscaglia speaks of is one that unlocks creativity.

And more than creativity, love leads to happiness. Not the happiness in the giddy sense, rather a deeper, stronger, unwavering happiness I would equate to eudaimonia. In his book, Buscaglia tears apart society's unnatural impositions on human nature - the same things that make us unhappy. It's an incredibly powerful read that I think every person on earth should have a copy of. I found my copy at a book sale, although I've actually read the same thing back in college - yes, it's available in the Ateneo library.

If you haven't read it, please do. If you have, please read it again - this my third re-reading, and I still pick up something new each time. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)