blog

LT / Life and art

12:00:00 AM

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a new story that I'm attempting to write called It's Too Early. I mentioned before that it took me a mere 36 hours of writing frenzy to finish the last story I penned, Pieces of Tea, a story about two complicated friends who explored the limits of their relationships with other people, and with one another.

I actually submitted this piece to a short fiction contest back in 2006. When the winners were announced and I wasn't one of them, I didn't really take it to heart - I never really expected anything when I joined. To my surprise, however, one of the judges, Joe, wrote me a personal note after the top three were announced. He told me that my piece made it through three readings, which meant that from over hundreds of entries, I was in the top ten.

He went on to say that the story was great, and that it was universally loved by the panel. He even quoted a paragraph that he particularly appreciated; he said that it captured everything there really is to say about being in a complicated relationship. (Thank you, Joe! Your kind words have kept me writing.)
Must. Write. Again.
(photo from the internet)
Anyway, this new story is taking much longer to write. So far, I've only typed up five pages (single-spaced, one-inch margin on all sides, Century Gothic 10), and that is a tad too slow for my taste. It's not that the inspiration isn't there, because it is. And although I'm busy, I know that I can find the time for it if I wanted to. The issue here is I'm a bit lost, a bit overwhelmed.

Pieces of Tea is a semi-autobiographical piece. While it is still technically fiction, a huge part of it is inspired by actual people and events. It's Too Early is semi-autobiographical, as well. But the pace of my life at the time when I was writing Pieces of Tea is much slower than it is now (I was still in college when I wrote that).

Right now, however, everything is moving too fast; I'm changing everyday, and so are the other players - for this reason, I'm having a hard time keeping up in writing. I know that I don't have to give a blow-by-blow of what's going on in my life for this story. But I want this piece of fiction to mirror real-life characterization, and it's getting left behind in the translation.

I guess I need to take things down a notch with my real life, albeit for a little while, to allow fiction to catch up.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)