Friendship

A different kind of bullying

12:00:00 AM

When I was still in high school, I hated the cliques who believed they had power over everyone else. I equally hated teachers who thought they were gods. I was never bullied, but some of my friends were, and I wasn't the type who would just sit and watch. I got into a number of confrontations, some of which landed me in the Guidance Counselor's office, but I don't regret defending those I cared about.

I am against bullying. But sometimes, I'm guilty of it. Before you call me a hypocrite, hear me out. I never bullied anyone to give me their lunch money. I never picked on people who were smaller and weaker than me. I never gave anyone a wedgie. I never singled anyone out to embarrass in front of the class. Those were not the acts I'm guilty of.
I do not approve!
(image from the  internet)
But sometimes, I bully my friends. I bully them into chasing their dreams. I bully them into getting up and dusting themselves off after a life-derailing event. I bully them into not letting themselves be bullied by other people. I bully them into standing up for themselves. I bully them into becoming more confident. I know that sounds a bit counter-productive, but as a girl raised in tough love, it's become a way for me to show a person that I care about him or her.

So yes, I may be a bully, but I am one with good intentions. If you're not my friend, you might think I'm just being hurtful, but they know me well enough to know that I only have their best interests in mind. I can be a b*tch sometimes, even to my friends. I can be pushy, but it's because I believe in them so much - sometimes, I believe in them more than they believe in themselves.

But  I still know that not everyone is accustomed to tough love, and I will admit that sometimes, my approach backfires. When it does, I make up for it by being reassuring. For the most part, however, I'm still a bully and I'm not sorry about that. I want to be an example of strength - that if I can be strong, so can anyone. If I can get myself together after going through what I had to go through, then anyone can handle anything. I don't think I'm anything special; I just happen to have enough clarity of thought to know that I cannot be defeated by any problems.

It's a tough world out there, and we need to be tougher.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)