blog

LT / Mindblown level 9000

12:00:00 AM

Milan Kundera is a master writer - I'm sure that people who have read his works would agree with me (and I'm equally certain that they've been changed in some way). He has this way of playing tricks on your mind, which is why I consider reading (and re-reading) his novels as a great practice on critical thinking. Aside from The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is a category of its own, I consider Ignorance to be his most mind-blowing work to date.
Not always bliss.
(image from the internet)
The novel was published in 2000, in French, and was translated in English by Linda Asher. Through Czech expatriate Irena and her fellow emigre Josef, Kundera examines the feelings that one experiences upon return to a homeland that has already ceased being a home. Also present is the discourse on love and its different manifestations, which is pretty much a recurring theme in all of his works.

I love his exploration of the concept of ignorance. Most people would either say that ignorance is bliss (usually the pessimists), or that it is boring (National Geographic Channel addicts), but if you look at it through this writer's eyes, it's so much more complicated than that. He presents ignorance as a two-fold phenomenon: one, as a willing action that a person can participate in, or as an involuntary move to avoid truth. He weaves these themes into the story seamlessly, and the ending will leave your jaw hanging.

It's hard for me to summarize the novel because I know I won't be able to do it justice. If you have time in your hands, read this novel.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)