blog

MW / Broadway love

12:00:00 AM

If you've had the chance to read through my Musical Wednesday posts, you would know that I have a SH*TLOAD of insecurities when it comes to my singing. Although I have enough confidence to walk up the stage and take the microphone, I still have issues (someone gimme a tissue) about it that I can't ever seem to get rid of completely.

Anyway, I'm a fan of musicals despite not being able to watch them all too regularly. The most recent ones I've seen are The Fully Monty, which starred my friend Nino Alejandro, and Carrie, where K-La Rivera totally knocked my socks off. I'm also a certified Avenue Q addict - I could listen to the soundtrack over and over and over, and I did - which is why I know the entire play by heart although I never actually got to watch it live.
Dreams.
(photo from the internet)
It's been a dream of mine to perform in a local production of any Broadway musical, but I grew up believing that my voice is not cut out for it the same way it's not suited for rock. I never tried to audition for any role in musical productions in school because there's that big voice at the back of my head telling me that it's not for me. So imagine my surprise when, while clowning around in Rizal Boulevard on my June 2014 Dumaguete trip, my friend Jerry (who's quite an accomplished musician) told me that I should give musical theater a try.
I was up on the dike, singing "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera
We've been friends for years, but because he lived so far away (I'll move there soon enough, I promise!), he never actually got to watch any of my gigs. Besides, I don't really sing Broadway songs in my gigs, so there's no way for him to find out that I've been fantasizing about playing Christine or Kim or Evita Peron. Haha!

Jerry told me that I had a beautiful voice, and that I could sing in theater if I wanted to. I'm an Alto, and in theater, I think most roles would require at least a Mezzo Soprano. But there are roles for Altos, and there's such a thing called PRACTICE - so maybe, just maybe, I could give it a shot. At the moment, I'm considering moving to Dumaguete for a few months before I turn 30 to finally get the musical training I've been longing for since I was a kid.

And who knows? I just might land a part in some production! :) I was very moved when Jerry introduced me to some of the musical folk of Dumaguete - he even told them that I had the voice for theater! That comment made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)