blog

MW / Standards

12:00:00 AM

The weekend before Manaha had its second gig in SaGuijo for OPM Lives, I went to SM Sucat to watch my friends Franco, JR, and Abi compete in the 2014 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Championships. Franco and Abi both won gold medals in their respective divisions, while JR scored a silver and a bronze medal in the no-gi and gi categories, respectively.

When I congratulated JR, he shook his head and told me that he wasn't satisfied with his performance. I told him that a podium finish is still a podium finish, and that he shouldn't treat it like it's nothing. He still didn't feel better about it, and I didn't get it at that moment. I only understood how he felt after that gig.

I was frustrated, and it showed all over my face. Manaha had no time to practice, and we were missing one band member. Although my friends said it was great, I knew for a fact that it was far from my best performance. I didn't mess up big time, I'm sure - it was actually quite okay - but the thing is, okay just isn't good enough.
Words to live by.
(image from the internet)
Singing is something that I'm passionate about. Maybe I'm not as passionate about it as I am about writing, but I still love it and I want to do really well. Considering that I've had absolutely zero formal training, you could say that I'm being too harsh on myself, and maybe I am. But the thing is, I've done better before, so that evening's performance didn't meet my standards.

After that night, I made a promise to myself that I will approach my next gig as though it were the last time I will ever get to sing. I will find time to practice, no matter how busy my schedule gets, and I will not fall into the trap of mediocrity again. I've taken this vow so seriously that I practice every chance I get - in the bathroom while bathing, on the streets when I'm walking, and even on the bus when I'm heading to a meeting!

My next gig will be better - mark my word.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)