chance

An opportunity - part three

12:00:00 AM

The Managing Director (MD) was this super cool and incredibly fit woman - I'm guessing she's in her late forties or early fifties at the most. I liked her instantly - when I hit that age, I'd want to be just as healthy and vital. Anyway, the interview with her was very casual, which made me wonder if it would have been okay to dress down.

Most of the conversation was about mixed martial arts. She asked me why I'm trying to make my way in a man's world, and I told her the story about the first MMA event that I attended, how I felt so bad for fighters who couldn't even afford the most basic protective gear like mouth guards and groin guards.

What I witnessed from that first event moved me, and I wanted to do something. I wanted to help amateur fighters by giving them an avenue where they can make their way to the professional leagues. I wanted to help develop the sport in the country, to make it more mainstream, to make it more accessible to the public.

I doubt that we will find another Manny Pacquiao in the near future, at least not in boxing - so it's a matter of finding the next great Filipino fighter in another sport, which is MMA. The MD told me that I shouldn't try to compete with men, and I assured her that I wasn't trying. I told her that I'm working with them - after all, great men need equally great women behind them. Haha!
Desk job again? Hmmmm.
(photo from the internet)
She then asked me the question that I anticipated but somehow failed to prepare for - was I willing to give up my freedom as a freelancer for a nine to five? Although I still had some doubts, I said yes, because I needed some stability in my life - which is actually very true. I love doing freelance work, but the erratic schedule makes it difficult for me to pursue my new passion for martial arts.

We ended the interview on a cheery note. She told me that they'll be in touch. The following Sunday, I flew to Cebu.

To be continued...

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)