BJJ

HFT / The sibling-hood of the traveling gi

12:00:00 AM

I've been itching to give jiu-jitsu a try for a while now, mainly because my DEFTAC friends have been telling me that it's a great sport. I know it is, but I got too caught up with things to do for the Asian Carriers Conference (ACC) 2014 and the URCC, so I kept putting it off. The ACC was held in Cebu last September, and I decided to extend my stay and take a side trip to Dumaguete before I headed back home to Manila.

And because I couldn't put off Brazilian jiu-jitsu anymore, I decided to borrow a gi from my adopted brother, JR, to bring with me so I can train in Dumaguete. I actually considered training with DEFTAC Cebu, but (1) I didn't know anyone from there, and (2) I had very limited time there because I had to make it to Dumaguete by Wednesday for Franco, so I scrapped that plan and opted to just go to Moalboal and Oslob instead. (NOT BAD, EH?)
In Shangri-La
So anyway, traveling with a gi is a bit complicated if you already have so much luggage. I was forced to tie the gi with my newly-bought white belt (yes!) and carry it by hand. JR gave me specific instructions to respect my belt, so I was as careful with it as I was with the gi. I never let it touch the floor/ground, and I didn't let it get soiled.
At the bus station
In the domestic airport in Manila, I was amused at how people were totally staring at the gi. One woman at the x-ray machine dared to ask what it was, and when I told her it was a gi, she asked if I did tae kwon do. Haha, wrong sport! I politely replied that it's for jiu-jistu, and she gave me an admiring smile that at the time I didn't deserve because I haven't even started!
Finally, I wore it.
Starting from my Makati apartment, the gi has gone with me to: Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3, Mactan Cebu International Airport, Be Hotel, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, all around Cebu City, Moalboal, Oslob, all around Dumaguete, back to Oslob, then Mactan Cebu International Airport, then Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3, and then finally, my apartment.

If the gi were a child, I'm sure it would have thrown tantrums. Haha! Now I wonder how far my own gi would travel when I finally get one.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)