blog

LT / An old dream

12:00:00 AM

Once upon a time, I dreamed of becoming a journalist. When I wrote about my addiction to the hit HBO series The Newsroom, I talked about how I used to watch The World Tonight with my mother. I would wait for the financial news to find out just how much the US$1 in my wallet was worth if I converted it to Philippine pesos. I also made sure I was up-to-date on news in the Middle East because my father worked in Saudi Arabia at the time, and in doing so, I inadvertently followed the life of Benazir Bhutto, the first woman Prime Minister of Pakistan. 
My idol.
I wanted so much to be a journalist that I took up AB Communication in Ateneo. For me, it wasn't just about being in the frontlines, reporting history as it unfolds - it's about having a hand in shaping it by providing people with correct and balanced information that will help them arrive at a sound decision. But because of one too many life-changing events, I pursued the corporate and business path after graduation. While I'm still very much a writer, I was forced to put my journalistic dreams behind me. But I guess I studied it enough, and at one point I loved it enough, to still have a care about it. 

For instance, when I encounter journalistic boo-boos like awful headlines, inaccurate information, heavily-biased pieces that aren't opinion columns, and so on, a part of me still gets affected (I'm elitist like that). But on the flipside, whenever I get to read or watch well-written investigative pieces or documentaries, I do appreciate them. And I suppose that's what the Lasallian Scholarum Awards (LSA) is all about - appreciating good work when it hits you in the face.
LSA
My friend John is part of the team that put this year's awards together, and he invited me to attend the ceremonies a few months back. I had to miss it because of work, but when he invited me to the exhibit this week, I just had to be there! It opened last Monday, october 27, and today's the last day (DROP BY IF YOU CAN!). The exhibit, which is in Greenbelt 5 Fashion Walk (near Zara) features most of the winners across the different categories throughout the awards' 11-year history. 
The recognition for this is well-deserved.
I quizzed John about the LSA, and he told me that the recognition program is different from most in the sense that they don't really accept nominations - rather, they actively seek out good work. They have separate award categories for student journalists and for professional ones, but the entries that are considered for awarding are pieces on youth and education. When I dropped by the exhibit, I even saw veteran journalist Howie Severino there! To this day, I remember him for that feature on Jose Rizal in Europe, which apparently won an LSA in 2005!
Visit the exhibit! :)
Congratulations to all the winners, and to John and team for a great event! :)

An endnote: Although my days as a journalist are long gone, I still believe that journalism can change the world. Well, not "can" - journalism is changing the world every single day. To those who chose this path and stayed on, kudos to you! I hope that, no matter what happens, you will always be guided by morals, by ethics, and not by what sells papers or gets the most views. People deserve to know things that will affect their now and their future, things that will make them smarter. I hope you never become part of the dumbing down of the masses to keep certain people in power.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)