blog

MW / HOPIA in Hayahay

12:00:00 AM

My most recent trip to Dumaguete was absolutely incredible - I got to try a lot of new things and see a number of new and old places. But the best parts of the trip were the surprises, and HOPIA's gig was one of them.
Great album!
I've been a fan of Dumaguete-based musical ensemble HOPIA since my friend Jerry (the band's saxophonist, who also played sax for Familiar) couriered a copy to me. When I flew to Dumaguete last June, the band didn't have a single gig the whole time I was there, so I wasn't able to watch them perform live. And when I told my friends there that I was going to visit again, no one mentioned that there would be a gig, so I assumed there was none.
The pillars got in the way of the photos...
But not in the way of their awesome sound.
So imagine my surprise when, on Thursday afternoon, I got a text from Jerry saying that HOPIA had a gig in Hayahay at 10:30pm, which was perfect because I had a meeting at 9:30pm. My other friend, Andy, actually called me in the middle of the meeting to tell me that they've already started setting up, and I was getting agitated because I didn't want to be late.

I was told that I missed two songs from their short set, but the songs I heard were really awesome. It was great to hear Jerry play live again; the last time I got to listen to him was many years back, when he was still with Familiar. Hopia, their lead vocalist, was equally awesome, as was the rest of the group. Great job, guys! I hope to hear you again the next time I'm there! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)