BJJ

HFT / I bought a gi!

12:00:00 AM

Confession: To this day, I'm still not 100% decided on jiu-jitsu. The first time I tried it in Dumaguete, I got killed, and I know that I'll keep getting killed for the rest of my journey in the sport. After my first try in Dumaguete, I told Franco that I'll give it a few more sessions before I make up my mind if BJJ is really for me.

He said that a few sessions is not enough to really make a decision. His point was that if I'm having a bad day on my last "trial" session, then chances are, I would quit prematurely. He then suggested that I give it a year before I make a choice. I thought about what he said, and I ended up agreeing with him. 
Yay!
And so I decided to buy a gi (I couldn't keep borrowing from JR).
31/Fifty: Jiu-Jitsu for the people!
But a brand-new gi is expensive - the cheapest ones range from Php6,500 to Php7,000, and that's if I'm able to get it at a discounted rate. The really nice brands could go as high as Php12,000, and I'd have to order from abroad so I have to pay for shipping, as well. I really don't want to spend so much on something I'm still not sure of (when I tried boxing, I only bought wraps because Franco lent me his gloves). 

Thankfully, someone from DEFTAC was selling an old gi for only Php4,000! It's actually still expensive for me (because I'm really kuripot), but I could afford it on installment. I didn't personally know Mimig, the guy selling the gi, so I asked JR to ask him if it's okay that I pay him Php2,000 on the 15th and 30th of October. Luckily for me, he agreed to the terms.

So from my condo, I walked over to DEFTAC Makati to pick up the gi. I tried it on and it fit me perfectly! It used to be an A2, but because it shrank after years and years of washing and drying, it's now practically an A1/A0, and it fits me perfectly! The only let-down for me is that it's white - I really would have wanted a black or blue one - but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Care instructions came from my friends: don't use bleach, and don't use fabric softener. Noted!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)