blog

LT / Getting lost

12:00:00 AM

"Getting lost was not a matter of geography so much as identity, a passionate desire, even an urgent need, to become no one and anyone, to shake off the shackles that remind you who you are, who others think you are."

"Leave the door open for the unknown, the door into the dark. That's where the most important things come from, where you yourself come from, and where you will go."
Reading in a bar. Why not?!?!
I found those two quotes online, in an  article on Brain Pickings, one of my favorite creative websites. I signed up for the daily newsletter, and when I read them, I started my desperate search for a copy of Rebecca Solnit's memoir, A Field Guide to Getting Lost. For about a couple of months, I scoured various bookstores (even the second-hand shops) to get my hands on it, but I couldn't find it here in the Philippines.

Out of options, I messaged my cousin's fiance in the US (my cousin's in Afghanistan so I couldn't really bug her for it) to ask that he buy me a copy and ship it over. Luckily for me, he works in a school (a college, actually), so he did have access to books. He asked for the ISBN number, which I provided. He found the book and ordered it in no time.

I offered to pay for it in full, including freight costs. Because he's so nice, he refused to let me pay for it! Yay! After another month of waiting, the package finally arrived at my door step, and almost immediately, I devoured each page with much gusto until I was done. As of press time, I'm re-reading the book for the third time. The pages are already filled with my random notes.

The reason I fell madly in love with Solnit's book is because I love to travel alone. I love finding my way in a new place and meeting new people. But more than heading outward into the world, I travel because it's a great opportunity for introspection - I learn just as much about myself as I do about my new surroundings.

Friends, if you get the chance, please read this book. It's game-changing, nay, it's life-changing. There's a quote that could be lifted from almost every page! I'd like to say more, but I won't for fear of preempting anyone's experience of it.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)