blog

LT / Hugot

12:00:00 AM

I asked for my friend Reese's help to finish Marvie's sexy song. That song has been in the works for about eight years now, so I could really use all the help I could get to finish it. I actually just need one verse that will connect the bridge with the outro, but I couldn't find the words.

To help me out, she lent me a couple of books written by poet and visual artist Lang Leav - Love & Misadventure, and Lullabies. It took me a few days to actually start reading, but when I did, it only took me some hours to devour both titles. Her poems are mostly short, so I didn't need much time to finish them. 

I've loved poetry for most of my life. I started with pieces penned by Edgar Allan Poe, Elizabeth Barrett-Browning, William Henley, Walt Whitman, and William Shakespeare - all for school, of course. But on my own, I read other writers, too - I started with Pablo Neruda after watching Il Postino, and for a while I also got hooked on the works of the late Maningning Miclat.

It's been a while since I last read poetry; left and right I've been reading novels, philosophical discourses, and biographies/autobiographies, and Lang Leav's books are a fresh addition to my roster. Her works are far from the traditional pieces that I'm accustomed to. But they're quite entertaining, I must say.

Reese has this term/expression (which she also uses as a hashtag whenever appropriate): hugot. It's a Filipino word that means to pull from under, or from a point of depth, and these days, it's used as a descriptor for or a retort to statements that come from somewhere deep in a person's heart or soul. That is how I would describe Leav's work: they're hugot pieces.

As a student of traditional poetry, however, I can't say I'm particularly impressed by the books. Again, her works are not bad at all, but I find them juvenile and immature. I understand why it would appeal to hopeless romantics, or to starry-eyed adolescent girls in love with boys who don't notice them.

Maybe I'm reading her books a little too late in life. Maybe I'm old school. Or maybe I'm being elitist. But I don't consider everything that rhymes to be poetry. For me, poetry is NOT simple, because it shouldn't be - more than emotions, there has to be a fair amount of depth and complexity in each piece.

But again, it's an enjoyable read. I'd recommend it to people who aren't particularly interested in poetry.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)