BJJ

HFT / Jiu-jitsu in Davao!

12:00:00 AM

When I started working in the advertising agency, I thought it would be the end of my travels, at least for the year. To my surprise, I was tasked to go to Davao and General Santos for an entire week for research! Woohoo! I always enjoy travel even if it's for work, because I still manage to squeeze in a little bit of fun. And in Davao, fun meant jiu-jitsu

I didn't really expect that I'd be able to work out, so I didn't bring a gi to the trip. I regretted it when I met with Miko and some of the folks of DEFTAC Davao on my first night there. For a while, I was pissed at myself for not bringing a gi because that meant wasting an opportunity to learn a thing or two from a new set of fighters - it's not like I could just easily fly to Davao to train with them whenever I wished. But because I couldn't train, I just watched and listened intently to the lesson.  
Thanks, guys! :)
Luckily for me, everyone's extremely kind and accommodating - Dwight (who, by the way, bagged a Bronze at the Asian BJJ Open in Japan last November!) lent me a gi! Woohoo! I got to train on my second night - and after warm-up and some drills, Jan taught me how to do the triangle choke! :) As a beginner, it's always, always exciting to learn a new technique, no matter how simple it is. :) 

Work is usually the thing that keeps me from training, so I was so happy that in this case, it was work that led me to train with DEFTAC Davao. :) Thank you, Miko, Jan, Dwight, Kristian, and everyone else! I'll be back next time with a gi! :)

P.S. When I got back to the city, I trained in BAMF MMA Center. Franco was the instructor that evening, and when the class was over, he asked who wanted to roll with him. I wasn't paying attention - I was even watching a YouTube video on my phone - when all of a sudden, a pair of legs slid from behind and wrapped around me. It was him. He grabbed my phone, set it on the mat, and forced me to roll with him. I don't really know what I'm doing (not yet), but there's one move I pulled that made him pause and say, "Hey! You learned that in Davao! That's a signature Davao move!" Haha! I don't even know what the move is called! :) 

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)