blog

LT / BBC Book List Challenge

12:00:00 AM

A friend shared the link to the BBC Book List Challenge on Facebook, and when it appeared on my feed, I just had to take it! The BBC actually isn't behind this list, but it's probably loosely based on their 2003 survey for Great Britain's best-loved novels of all time.

Anyway, I took the test and I scored an embarrassing 17/100. The foreword of the challenge said that most people would have only read about six titles in the list, so I guess my 17 isn't that bad. I'd like to read more, though, so I scoured my favorite second-hand book shops to get my hands on those I've missed.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
(image from the internet)
I missed out on a lot of classics when I was growing up, which comprised over half the list. I read a lot as a kid, but I hardly encountered classics because they weren't required readings in the schools I attended (they should be, though). And for some reason, the literature teachers I ended up with in college made us read mostly postmodern and philosophical titles - hence, my love affair with Milan Kundera.

But I still want to read a lot of the books in the list, so I've made it my mission to find second-hand copies from my favorite book stores. I've tried downloading some of them, but I ended up not reading anything because a few pages into A Tale of Two Cities, my eyes started to hurt. So I guess I'll just buy a paperback as soon as I'm done with my latest acquisitions. Below are my priorities:

1. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Austen)
3.The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
4. Wuthering Heights (Bronte)
5. Great Expectations (Dickens)
6. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
7. Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky)
8. Lolita (Nabokov)
9. On the Road (Kerouac)
10. The Remains of the Day (Ishiguro)

What about you? How many of these books have you read? Take the quiz here. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)