band

MW / Entry-level psychedelic

12:00:00 AM

When I first encountered the song Fitzpleasure by Alt-J while watching one of my favorite television series ever, Suits, I totally flipped out and I began the frantic search for the song. I scoured the internet for leads until I finally found it, and it's become a staple in my playlist for when I'm hosting friends over for drinks.
The celebrated Alt J
(photo from the internet)
Click on this video to hear the song, in case you don't know it:


I'll admit I struggled a bit to understand the lyrics, so of course I ran to Google for help. I was surprised at what it meant! From my research, I learned that it was inspired by a chapter from "Last Exit to Brooklyn," a controversial novel written in 1964 by Hubert Selby, Jr. The book is said to be about the brutality of urban life, and the specific chapter that inspired Fitzpleasure is about gang rape.

The songwriter, Alt-J vocalist and guitarist Joe Newman, explained that he chose to write about gang rape because it was written so well that it really moved him. He believed that it was a very powerful subject, and that he didn't really know which way is up after he read the chapter. I'm not familiar with the book, and I'm not particularly curious, but I'm sure that if I do decide to read it, it will be worth my while, considering that it inadvertently spawned this awesome song.

What amazes me is how, despite the extremely gory topic, nothing in the melody would suggest such. The arrangement, plus the vocals, gives off a psychedelic vibe that sort of brings me back to the music of Pink Floyd, but with hints of heavy rock and even country (because of the guitar on some parts). But now that I know what it's all about, I know I won't be able to listen to the song the same way again.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)