life

Neighbors

12:00:00 AM

I've lived in Salcedo since August 2013, but I still haven't made friends in the neighborhood. Let me qualify that statement. Of course I have friends who live here, but the thing is, they didn't become my friends by virtue of being my neighbors. I met them in places outside of our neighborhood, and it's only later that I found out that we lived five to ten minutes away from one another.

Having grown up in the province, where everyone within a ten-block radius was still considered a neighbor and in most cases a friend, I have to admit it's a bit of a struggle for me to make friends here - the walls of our condos keep us from meeting one another. People don't exactly knock on one another's doors with salads or casseroles, looking for a hangout - everyone's just too busy for that.
Knock knock
(image from the internet)
Anyway, this reflection on neighbors started from the frequent walks I'd take around Salcedo Village - I see a lot of people heading to or coming from work or from coffee places or restaurants. I see a lot of people running while plugged to their personal music players. I see a lot of people walking their dogs. But I don't see a lot of people being neighbors. It's partly because of how this neighborhood is built, and partly because these days, people aren't that trusting anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is this: I hope there's a way for me to meet people in the neighborhood. I've made some acquaintances of the people who live in the same building while sharing an elevator ride, but beyond that, I don't really know how else to make friends around here. People are generally suspicious of people, and I can't blame them - this day and age, you can't really be too careful. On the flipside, however, I think that in being too careful, we may be sacrificing our chances to meet new people and make great friends.

This year, I want to meet more of my neighbors. I'm not sure how to go about it, but I guess I can start with a salad or a casserole. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)