crazy

The best at being bad

12:00:00 AM

The pilot episode of House of Cards opens with a dog getting hit by a car. Frank Underwood (played by Kevin Spacey) runs to the dog, which was whimpering in pain. In Shakespearean form, Frank starts to talk about the two kinds of pain - first is the kind that makes one strong, and the other is useless pain. Having no patience for the latter, and for useless things in general, Frank kills the dog. He further elaborates that moments like such requires someone who was willing to do the unpleasant thing - the necessary thing.
God
(image from the internet)
With an opening sequence powerful as that, I instantly fell in love with the American television series House of Cards. Each episode reeks Machiavelli, which appeals to the part of me that's a ruthless pragmatist. Although I am fully aware that Frank is the bad guy, I still want him to succeed. I want him to get his revenge. I want him to decimate his enemies. I want him to rise to power. He deserves to win, if only because he's not afraid to play the game, to get his hands dirty, to do whatever it takes. I have nothing but respect for Frank Underwood.

And I have just the same amount of respect for his loyal wife, Claire Underwood, played by an ultra-fit Robin Wright. Another character of note is Jackie Sharp, played by the incredibly talented and beautiful Molly Parker. I'll stop myself before I name another character, because I know I'll end up mentioning them all. Haha! The writing isn't Sorkin but it's close enough in terms of brilliance. It's entertaining, yes, but I like that it's so much more than that - it's intellectually stimulating (that's how and why it got me glued!).

If you haven't started watching it yet, I urge you to do so.

**knocks on table**

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)