chance

Gracian #11

12:00:00 AM

"Cultivate relationships with those who can teach you. Let friendly intercourse be a school of knowledge, and let culture be taught through conversation." -Baltasar Gracian
And I am grateful.
(image from the internet)
I consider myself to be an insanely lucky person for a lot of reasons, one of which is that there are people in my life I can consider mentors. I'm incredibly grateful that I met them, because I learn so much from every conversation I have with them. Whether we're talking about career, business, sports, or life in general, the conversation always ends with me walking home, at the very least, with a nugget of wisdom.

MM was my first mentor. She was with me in the early years of my adult life, and after a few months under her tutelage, she became more than just my boss; she became a friend, too. She cared about more than what I can do for her; she genuinely cared about me as a person. She helped me deal with my mother's death, and she really made an effort to help me become a better person.

Like MM, my next two bosses, Bob and John, became my mentors, as well. The dynamic was different with those two, but one thing remained constant - I learned so much from them, and I'm extremely grateful that they chose me over other people who applied for the same jobs.

My good fortune did not end there. My friend Peter, a chili chef extraordinaire I met in Cyrano a few years back, is also a mentor. He has been incredibly supportive of my entrepreneurial attempts, and he is very generous with business advice. He even promised me that when my business is up and running, he will be my consultant for a fee of one bottle of wine per month. Knowing how valuable Peter's time is (let's just say "time is money" has a literal meaning for him), that's a very, very sweet deal!

Rely is another person who's been incredibly helpful in my entrepreneurial journey. I met him through my friend and former officemate, Andrei. He runs a successful sports management firm, and when I was new to the mixed martial arts world, I almost worked with him on a project. That didn't pan out, but I stayed in touch with him and to this day, I still reach out to him for help. I even treated him to coffee once, just to pick his brain! :) I hope I get to work with him and his team in the near future. :)

Having them as my mentors is a very lucky break for me, but I have to give myself a little bit of credit for having done my part to build and maintain a relationship with them. I'm not wise enough to share anything that would be of value to people of their stature, but I try whenever I can to contribute something to their lives, no matter how little. They've helped me in so many ways, and I am grateful. I do hope that, in the future, I could be the MM/Bob/John/Peter/Rely to someone else.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)