BJJ

HFT / So happy, I could kiss the mats

12:00:00 AM

February 19 is a date I will remember for a long time. As the Chinese community celebrated the Lunar New Year, I also got to celebrate something - my recovery from my rib injury! After five long weeks of being on the sidelines, I was finally cleared for jiu-jitsu. I kid you not when I say that there were butterflies in my stomach as I walked from my condo to Deftac Makati - I was excited, but I was a bit worried because I was out of shape after resting too long.

Although I tried to stay active through walking (running wasn't advisable because of the impact), yoga, and swimming, jiu-jitsu is jiu-jitsu, and I wasn't sure if I was ready to once again assume my role as a rag doll. Haha! Kidding aside, I was a bit worried that I might get hit in the rib again. As it turns out, I didn't have to worry one bit - everyone there was aware of my recent injury, so they took precautions when doing the drills with me.
My first class back! YEHEYYY
I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but I know I didn't do badly at all. I struggled with the warm-up (that was the most number of crunches I've done in recent history, haha!), and in some of the drills I experienced a little bit of rib pain, but overall, it was a great training night! We had a guest instructor, Patrick, our teammate Bryan's brother. He's a purple belt from Team Britto, a Ribeiro affiliate team based in Toronto, Canada.

Patrick and his lovely wife Patricia (they're The Pats!) were here for a short vacation only, so he opted to share several techniques in one class, which we can review with our coaches Joel and Boks after he leaves. I was overwhelmed with all the details, but I still managed to execute the techniques (except the last one, because I haven't learned the fundamentals for it just yet).

My training partner that night was Justin from Deftac Laguna (they drove all the way from the far south for this class, how cool is that?), and along with Patrick and Boks, he helped me do the techniques step by step, detail by detail. And speaking of details, to help me remember them, I wrote down what I remembered on a notebook. It was just like college, haha! :)

I'm so glad to be back on the mats again! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)