advice

Life is a game of perspective

12:00:00 AM

When my dear friend Pauline got married to John last February in Boracay, I met a lot of their other friends at the ceremony and the reception, among them a beautiful young couple (they're the nicest people I know, promise!). We got to hang out for a bit, and I'll admit I spent most of that time yakking on and on about how cute their kids were, haha! Anyway, in one of the conversations, I was a bit embarrassed (in a good way, just so we're clear) when the couple told Pauline that they liked me because (according to them) I'm "such a nice person."
Don't mind if I do! :)
(image from the internet)
When Pauline shared with them the story about my mother's cancer battle, they asked me how I'm able to maintain such a sunny disposition. And I told them the truth, that I just decided to.

The people who really know me (like Pauline) know that I went through a number of dark phases in my life. My childhood was not easy, moreso my adolescent years. College was an exceptionally difficult time, too, especially in my junior and senior years when we could no longer afford my expensive education (my Uncle Ernie swooped in to help). Then there's my mother's cancer diagnosis and eventual death, coupled with money problems and a breakup that rocked my world.

It took a lot of experimenting for me to get to where I am now. I read articles and books on how to be happy until I finally realized that the answer I needed was with me all along. I decided to be happy, and that made all the difference.

By deciding to be happy, I don't mean I'm always giddy even for no reason - that would be crazy (but then again, I AM crazy. Haha!). And it also doesn't mean that I don't allow myself to feel pain or sadness, because I do. It only means that I've made a conscious effort to be okay - with, in spite of, and because of, whatever it is that I'm going through.

I have been very fortunate with the people I've met along the way, a number of whom have become friends so close they're practically family - so really, what do I have to complain about? I've been through so much sh*t in my lifetime and I'm still here - still breathing, still alive, and definitely so much stronger than I was in my younger years. That, alone, is something to be happy about.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)