blog

MW / The tango addiction continues

12:00:00 AM

Anibal, an Argentinean backpacker I met after freediving in Moalboal, Cebu, told me to listen to Gotan Project when I told him that I was a huge fan of Bajo Fondo Tango Club. Unfortunately, I got so swamped with work by the time I got back from my two-week Cebu-Dumaguete-Cebu-Dumaguete-Cebu adventure that I forgot to look them up.

Just last month, I had a meeting in Sala Bistro in Greenbelt 3, and when I heard a tango song being played, I whipped out my phone to identify the song using SoundHound. The song turned out to be Gotan Project's Una Musica Brutal. I suddenly remembered Anibal, and within the hour, I was listening to the group on Spotify.
Trio
And man, oh man - Anibal was right when he told me that if I liked the Bajo Fondo Tango Club, I will totally love Gotan Project. The group, based in Paris, France, is a Neotango/Electronica/Tango ensemble composed of Argentine Eduardo Makaroff, French Philippe Cohen Solal, and Swiss Chrisoph H. Muller. These three successfully brought together traditional music into the modern, electronic world. And at first listen, I fell in love with tango all over again.

All over again, I say, because the first time I did, I was in my last semester in college, learning about Latin American Music and Culture from my professor, internationally-known concert pianist Charisse Baldoria. She took us through a musical tour of South America, but my ears pretty much got fixated with the tango.

This group is worth the listen, I promise. Check them out:


Enjoy!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)