blog

HFT / One day at a time

12:00:00 AM

"Just for today, I will not smoke." That is what I tell myself every morning, and so far, it's been working - I have not smoked a cigarette since January 1st. This is the longest in recent history that I have not had a cigarette, and I hope I get to stay smoke-free for the rest of my life!

My nth attempt at quitting smoking for good started as an accident. I spent New Year's Eve in my brother's house, and I smoked quite a lot of cigarettes. When I woke up the next day, I could hardly breathe from all the gunk in my lungs, so I opted to not smoke for a bit to recover. I went back to my condo the same day and I stayed there until the morning of January 5th.
Keeping the coffee, ditching the cigarette.
(photo from the internet)
Between the second and the fifth, I craved for cigarettes but my holiday laziness prevented me from getting dressed and stepping out of my apartment to buy some. When I went to work on the fifth, I wasn't feeling well but I dismissed it. After office, I went to Deftac Makati to train, which made me forget that I still have not had a cigarette.

The next day was awful, though - as was the rest of the week. I woke up every morning with a fever, and I wouldn't start feeling better until it was lunch time. My throat was itchy and my nose runny, so I still didn't smoke. At first I thought it was the flu, and then it hit me - it must be withdrawals. And for the first time since the last time, I decided to try quitting again.

I knew that I would get overwhelmed with the prospect of quitting smoking for good, so I decided to take things a day at a time. And that's when I started with the "Just for today, I will not smoke" mantra - I say it every morning, out loud, and I'm happy to say that even though I've been to a number of parties and gigs, and got stuck in a number of stressful situations, I managed to keep myself from smoking.

Jiu-jitsu has a lot to do with it, actually. Although my injury kept me off the mats for over a month, the prospect of going back there to learn technique, to do drills, to roll was enough to keep me from smoking. I want to get better at the sport, and to achieve that, I had to take care of myself. So that's what I'm doing. :)

Wish me luck!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)