blog

LT / Finding Forrester

12:00:00 AM

If there is one movie that I find most inspirational for a young writer, it's "Finding Forrester." It was released in the year 2000, and it stars Sean Connery as a cynical old writer who befriends and mentors a young African-American teenager who has an incredible gift of words.
Unlikely friendship
(photo from the internet)
Lately, I've been having a hard time filling the pages of my Creativity Journal - it's mostly because I'm too busy with work and with jiu-jitsu and with travel. But the sad part is I still struggle even when I do have the time, and watching this movie for the nth time helped me figure out what the problem is: I've been overthinking, and it's getting in the way of my writing. 

My favorite line in the film came from Connery's character, William Forrester: "No thinking! You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is to write, not to think!" That being said, I need to slow down a little, meditate if I could, and start writing for the sake of writing. I'm unnecessarily pressuring myself to reach my writing goals (two new stories by the end of the year), and it's really starting to backfire. 

I wonder, though, if I will find a mentor like William. I've had lots of mentors in my lifetime, but I haven't really had one for writing. This is a journey I've mostly been on alone. Or maybe, just maybe, I could be someone's writing mentor. 

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)