choice

Revisiting an old desire

12:00:00 AM

When I was a high school senior, I decided that I wanted to become a lawyer. Money was never a motivation; what I wanted from it then was to put rapists in jail. I didn't become one, obviously, but lately, I've been thinking a lot about it. Actually, I don't think I ever really stopped thinking about it, but I did so in phases. Since I started working, I'd get the law school bug anywhere between one to two weeks at a time, about four to five times a year.

During those phases, I would talk to my friend Abet, who, without fail, has always told that there is no other career better suited for me than the legal profession. It's not that I don't believe him, because I do - I think I'll make a good lawyer. But things just keep getting in the way. Okay, let me rephrase that - I LET things get in the way. So I just lose the fire and I move on with my life.
Could've been my limo. Haha!
(image from the internet)
But this most recent phase has been the longest. It started in December, and I dismissed it as just another one of my episodes of longing. It's familiar territory, and I expected it to be over soon. But it's been dragging on for the past five months already, and it hasn't left my conscious mind. Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by more people who are telling me the same thing I hear from Abet (in a different way, of course).

I've started exploring options already, both here in Manila and in Cebu or Dumaguete. I still haven't made a decision, but I'm not in a hurry (and I refuse to rush myself into a choice). But I guess I'm growing more open to it because this time, I sought advice from people who went to different law schools. I just need to be more clear about my reasons, my motivations. I'll take the rest of 2015 to really think hard. If I finally decide that I want to pursue it, I know I'll find a way to make it happen.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)