BJJ

LT / Shifting reading

12:00:00 AM

When I bought a copy of BJ Penn's "Why I Fight," I didn't think that that was the beginning of a gradual shift in my reading preferences. Most of my adult life, I have been partial to philosophy books. Lately, however, I've been reading more and more books on martial arts and fighting. After Why I Fight, I started reading Sam Sheridan's "A Fighter's Heart." But I didn't stop there.
Geeking out
I also picked up Jiu-Jitsu University, written by Saulo Ribeiro with Kevin Howell. Although it's more a textbook of the Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu system, the introduction of the book is actually quite inspirational, and even lyrical. My instructor, Joel, lent me The Path to the Black Belt, written by Rodrigo Gracie and Kid Peligro, which is another textbook, but still a good read. I have to go through these books slowly, though - since they show techniques, this white belt can only absorb so much.

"A Fighter's Mind" is next on my non-textbook fighting books, and I'm also looking for copies of "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi, and "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. I've actually read the latter back in college for Asian History, but I lost my old copy after moving dorms and houses one too many times.

I've changed so much since I made the decision to embark on this journey. Martial arts really has seeped in to every aspect of my life now, and there's really no point to resist anymore. After all, I'm in this for the long haul.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)