college

Oatmeal

12:00:00 AM

There was a phase when I absolutely hated oatmeal. I hated it because there was a week when all I had was a bag of oatmeal and some sugar in my kitchen cupboard, and I didn't have any money to buy groceries. Without certainty as to when I was going to receive my allowance, I even had to consume the oatmeal sparingly - I ate a small bowl of that goop once a day.
This was all I had for a week.
(image from the internet)
On the fifth day, I had my last serving of oatmeal to start my day, and because I have the appetite of a rhinoceros, I was hungry by noon. I was hanging out with a friend when he invited me to McDonald's, and because I still had no money, I declined and I said that I was "still full." And at that exact moment, my stomach gave a loud, embarrassing growl.

My friend knew me well enough to know that I'm quite proud, so he pretended not to hear it. But the following day, he showed up at my dorm with two plastic bags filled with groceries. I cried out of sheer gratitude. Those groceries kept me alive for over a couple of weeks.

That act of kindness changed me in a big way. For starters, it made me realize that although I wasn't financially well-off, I am one of the richest people on earth if wealth were gauged solely on the friends one has. I never have to fight my battles alone, because I have people who will stand by me through anything and everything.

And most importantly, it restored my faith in the innate goodness of people. I made a vow to "pay it forward" - to help someone else when I have the capacity to do so, and I am doing my best to keep that promise. I hope that my acts of kindness, no matter how small, would positively affect someone's view of people and/or the world the way my friend's changed mine.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)