blog

FTF / #MindaNOWorNever: CDO

12:00:00 AM

In 2014, two crazy girls named Hannah and Isay said that they will go on The Great Mindanao Adventure. In 2015, they did. On August 17, 2015, they hopped on a plane bound for Cagayan de Oro (CDO), and the rest, as they say, is history.
The very first photo of #MindaNOWorNever
CDO, our first stop, is known for whitewater rafting. That was what we had in mind, but sadly, we weren't able to do it. It was just us two traveling, and because it was a Monday, we didn't find a tour group we can go with. In addition, we landed there rather late - not only was our flight slightly delayed, we actually had to make an emergency landing in Cebu.
There were bats
After checking in at our hotel (Marianne Suites - very nice, and priced reasonably, too!), we commuted like locals to one of the most frequently-visited caves in Cagayan de Oro City, Makahambus Cave. Being a "thru" cave (you enter one side and exit through the other), Makahambus Cave was instrumental to the first victory of Filipinos during the Philippine-American War in 1990, as it served as the hideout of the Kagay-anon soldiers and their families.
Water!
It wasn't a huge cave; the trek from the entry to the exit was only 57 meters. We exited on the side facing the Cagayan de Oro River, and the view was calming (I hadn't slept in over 36 hours, and I was really exhausted, but seeing the river made me feel so much better).

The cave was located in the middle of nowhere, and Hannah and I weren't sure how we were going to get back to the hotel - jeepneys were few and far between. Luckily for us, a white pick-up truck stopped for us and gave us a lift back to the city! We sat at the back of the truck, where we played around with the GoPro as we struggled to keep our balance (I also made a lot of effort to keep my hair away from my face, and of course I failed).

(An aside: We accepted the offer for the lift because one of the passengers is a kind-faced woman. Hannah and I think that she was the one who saw us, and she urged her driver to stop.)
I'm stuck!
Later that afternoon, we headed back to our hotel. We rested a bit (I desperately needed sleep), and when I was amply recharged, Hannah and I walked around the city. We visited the Provincial Capitol of Misamis Oriental. The park in front of it had old school public phone booths, and of course I had to have my photo taken in it! I was six years old the last time I was in one. :)
Local flavor
We also visited the St. Augustine Cathedral on foot. To get there, we asked for directions from a random stranger on the street, who, upon learning that we were from Manila, smiled and said, "Welcome to the City of Golden Friendship!" Cute, right? :) We stopped for a bit for STREET FOOD! Hannah and I had some breaded chicken and squid rings (I think), and it was delicious and cheap!
Dusk
I made a wish
City Hall
We walked past the City Hall before we got to St. Augustine Cathedral. The church was old, but it was beautiful and well-preserved. We said our prayers, took a few photos, and left. We turned in early, because we had to get up really early the following day for the next chapter of our adventure: Iligan City.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)