blog

FTF / #MindaNOWorNever: Camiguin, part 2

12:00:00 AM

Even before we left the island, I've made a decision that I was going to come back to Camiguin. We spent less than 24 hours there, and it simply wasn't enough to experience everything that the island has to offer. But we managed to squeeze in a lot of stops during our short stay, and that's because Ate Julianne is such a wonderful planner.
Sunken Cemetery
We got to the Sunken Cemetery a little late, so the tide was high and the waves were already too strong for snorkeling. It was a gloomy day, so the thought of swimming in a sea of graves was a bit too freaky, anyway. But we did take the short boat ride to the cemetery cross, but we didn't linger: we left after we soaked in the view and took a photos. The cemetery went under in 1871, when Mt. Vulcan Daan erupted. The  cross was built in 1982 to mark the old gravesite.
After Eden
Our next stop, the Old Church Ruins, was my favorite. The words "after Eden" popped in my head when I walked in, and I knew I could spend an entire day there, just writing. Because the sun was hiding from us, it seemed as though I were looking at the place through some sort of Instagram filter. A shroud of mystery enveloped the place, and I was smitten.  The same eruption that sank the cemetery along with the rest of what is now Catarman also left the old church in ruins.
Soda water!
We were still covered in salt from the White Island trip, so our next stop was the relief that I badly needed: Soda Swimming Pool! No, it doesn't taste like Coca-Cola, but it is natural soda water so it did taste a bit unusual. You're not supposed to drink from the pool, but if you're thirsty, they do have taps you can drink from. They encourage drinking natural soda water for its health benefits. I, of course, had my fill.
Freezing cold!
After Soda Swimming Pool, we headed to Sto. Nino Cold Spring, and boy, they weren't lying when they said it was cold! It reminded me a lot of Liliw, Laguna: people sumberged bottled and canned drinks and even coconuts to cool them before consumption. We didn't stay too long, but I did go for a dip before we left.
Creepy
The devastating volcanic eruptions from 1871 to 1875 did not wipe out the entire island, which is why there were still a lot of Spanish colonial/ancestral houses in Camiguin. Another structure that survived the calamity is the Shrine of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which was built in 1882. The interiors were kind of creepy for a church, but we still said our prayers before we went to Tuasan Falls.
Tuasan Falls
Hannah and I theorized that Tuasan Falls was only recently discovered; the roads leading there were very new, with some parts still being built. It was a very narrow drop, but it was quite strong (not sure, though, if it would be strong enough to generate electricity). We've had enough of swimming and changing by the time we got here, so we just dipped our feet for a bit before leaving.

Our multicab brought us to the port. I waved to the island as the ferry we were on moved farther and farther away.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)