blog

LT / The Proust Questionnaire #14

12:00:00 AM

Question: What is your favorite occupation?

This question's pretty easy: WRITING! I've been writing for more than half my life, and although I didn't join the workforce in 2007 as a writer, I eventually became one. My journey to my current career is a mix of conscious choices, divine intervention, and fortuitous events, and I remember each turning point fondly (even the painful ones).
Day job!
For the longest time, I feared becoming a writer by profession, because I didn't want to run the risk of losing my love for it (same reason I didn't get into a career in music). But life had other plans, and now, I'm enjoying working as a writer. I have yet to attain financial stability, I'll admit, but I'm getting there.

It helps that my boss, Lendro, took it upon himself to mentor me. He knows how to manage me; he's intuitive enough to know when to give a push and when to give space. He's a great motivator, too; on days when I just want to throw in the towel, talking to him gets me back on track.

But that's not even the best part about him. More than a boss and a mentor, I consider Lendro a friend. What I appreciate most about him is his compassion. He knows what's going on in my personal life, including how my brother got sick. I asked him for help, and by help I meant new freelance projects, and he gave it to me, and more.

One evening, as I was about to go to the hospital to take care of my brother, he called to invite me to a free movie (Tita Annie, another colleague in the events scene, had extra tickets to the advanced screening of The Intern). I had a couple of hours to spare, so I accepted the invitation (the movie was great, by the way - Miggs and I couldn't stop raving about it). When it was done, I rushed off to the hospital, and so I sent him and Tita Annie an SMS to say thank you.

His reply: "You're welcome. You need a break. We all do."

That just makes me love being a writer even more.

What is your favorite occupation?

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)