blog

MW / Both sides, now

12:00:00 AM

The movie "Love Actually" is one of my favorite romantic comedies ever. Save for the few parts that were either too cheesy or too silly, the writers kept things quite real. Whenever I watch it, my heart breaks a little - for Sarah, who chose her responsibility for her family over love, for Mark, who was hopelessly in love with his best friend's wife, and for Karen, whose husband cheated on her with his hot new assistant.
Influential
(photo from the internet)
Emma Thompson, to me, is like the British Meryl Streep, and she made me weep buckets with her as she cried over her husband's betrayal while listening to Joni Mitchell's Both Sides, Now. That song was absolutely perfect for the scene, and hearing parts of it in the movie prompted me to look for it on YouTube after - I had to listen to the whole song.

Dubbed "one of the greatest songwriters ever" by Rolling Stone Magazine, Canadian singer, songwriter, and painter Joni Mitchell released "Both Sides, Now" in 1969. She actually wrote it in 1967 and was recorded first by Judy Collins, but Mitchell eventually released it two years later. According to her, a passage from "Henderson the Rain King," a novel by Saul Bellow, inspired her to write the song. Ranked 171 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, Mitchell says she had no idea it was going to be that big of a hit.

Anyone who aspires to be a songwriter should listen to Joni Mitchell, or at the very least, to this song. It's a fine example of brilliant writing - it's poetic, deeply meaningful, and hauntingly beautiful.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)