advice

I quit poverty!

12:00:00 AM

"I quit poverty three years ago."

Over a sumptuous dinner with my friends in Allegre, a tapas bar in Dumaguete City, I blurted out that line when our perpetually shifting conversations somehow landed on money talk. Don't get me wrong - I am not anywhere near the vicinity of wealthy. My current net worth probably won't be enough to put me through college if I were to go now. There are still days, or weeks, even, when I don't have any money left to spend.

But I really did quit poverty three years ago. The decision was actually pretty easy - it was like flicking a switch. One moment, I was poor, and the next, I wasn't anymore. All I really needed was a trigger.

Okay, so you may be thinking, "WTF IS THIS CRAZY GIRL SAYING?!?! YOU CAN'T QUIT POVERTY!" Let me explain it, then.

I can't remember what it was exactly that I wanted to buy, but I do remember that I couldn't afford it at the time. My savings got wiped out and my credit cards were swiped to the limit because of my mother's medical bills, so I didn't have any money left to spare. I lived paycheck to paycheck, and the last couple of days before the next payday were always the most difficult.

And then I met someone at a wedding I sang at. We had a couple of drinks a few nights after the wedding; our friends sort of set us up since we were both single then. We were old enough to skip the small talk, so we went straight for the difficult conversations. We talked life - where we were at the time, where we wanted to be and what we wanted to have in five years.

No, it's not what you think - I didn't land him to live off what he made (I'm too proud for that).

But he did get me out of poverty. Let me elaborate.

Aside from net worth, what sets the rich apart from the poor is their mindset. He gave me this example: A poor guy and a rich guy both want the same pair of shoes. The poor guy will scrimp and save to get it. The rich guy, on the other hand, will find ways to make more money in order to afford the damn pair.
In the mind
(image from the internet)
That little nugget of wisdom changed me forever, and at that very moment, I was able to quit poverty.

Again, the decision was easy, but remember - the hard part isn't making the decision, it's living with it. And living with the decision to not be poor meant that I had to get off my ass and hustle. It meant working while other people slept . It meant learning new and profitable skills while others played. It meant being in a constant state of change and unrest while others reveled in their comfort zone. It meant doing a lot of things that scared the living shit out of me.

I never looked back; I've already wasted too much time and I'm not going to lose any more of it on useless shit. I will never be as young as I am today, so I have to move now, to work now, to push now. And soon, I know that my being "rich" will be more than just a mindset.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)